Birth Certificate Alternative

You need birth certificate of the girl child in whose name you want to open an account under SSY. The need for birth certificate is for establishing the Date of Birth (D.O.B) of the girl child. Since this scheme is open for girl’s 10 years or younger only, hence establishing her D.O.B and consequently her age is very important.

For many parents seeking to open account under Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana for their daughter, birth certificate has become the biggest impediment. In rural areas birth certificate is still not very prevalent, and no official birth records are maintained. In many cases even in urban areas, parents might not have been able to collect their daughter’s birth certificate.  In rare cases, birth certificate might have been misplaced or may not be easily accessible.

There can be various reasons, but the problem is one and the same, how to open account under SSY if you don’t have a birth certificate for your daughter? Are there any alternative document?

Since government wants to encourage parents to join in this scheme, it has provided a host of documents that can be used as an alternative to birth certificate. You can use any of the below listed document, as D.O.B proof for your daughter, and open account under SSY

  1. Passport off the Girl child
  2. PAN Card of the Girl Child
  3. Aadhaar Card of the Girl Child
  4. Certificate issued by Headmaster of the girl child’s school verifying her date of birth
  5. Certificate issued by the hospital where the girl child was born verifying her date of birth

For cases where the birth certificate has so far not been created, existence of the 1st 3 alternative document is quite unlikely. For creating Passport, PAN card or Aadhaar card you need to provide D.O.B proof.

Hence for such people, getting either of the two certificates is the best bet.

In case of girl child who have started attending school, procuring a certificate from the headmaster of the school is the best option, and should be simple enough.

For girl child who are younger than school age, certificate from the delivering hospital will be easy enough to obtain. Most hospital, do provide a certificate/letter when discharging a new baby. This usually contains details such as D.O.B and parents name of the baby. This certificate is a valid age proof for opening account under Sukanya Samridddhi Yojana.

For cases where the child was not delivered at hospital (home birth) and has not yet started going school either, opening account under SSY scheme is not possible as of now. For such girl child’s account opening can be done only after she starts attending school.

Also Read

Who can open account for the girl child under SSY

SSY Investement Calculator

SSY Account opening form

How to open account under SSY in SBI Bank

FAQ about SSY

Related Questions –

Openseo plugin asked 2 hours ago
1 views0 answers0 votes
OpenD.S.NARAYANA asked 1 day ago • 
10 views0 answers0 votes
OpenShivani asked 2 days ago • 
19 views0 answers0 votes
AnsweredSindhu asked 9 months ago • 
648 views1 answers0 votes
AnsweredPankaj Thakur asked 9 months ago • 
346 views1 answers0 votes
AnsweredNeha asked 9 months ago • 
581 views1 answers0 votes
AnsweredD. Francis Murin asked 5 months ago • 
372 views1 answers0 votes
Answeredvivek asked 9 months ago
285 views1 answers0 votes
Answeredb.ashok asked 8 months ago • 
342 views1 answers0 votes
Answeredb.ashok asked 8 months ago • 
636 views1 answers0 votes
Answeredjo asked 7 months ago
639 views1 answers0 votes
AnsweredAbhishek Bhowmik asked 7 months ago • 
431 views1 answers0 votes
Answeredchandra pal sharma asked 7 months ago • 
306 views1 answers0 votes
Answeredsaurabh pandey asked 7 months ago • 
319 views1 answers0 votes
AnsweredDinesh jangid asked 6 months ago • 
545 views2 answers0 votes
AnsweredAshwani asked 5 months ago • 
231 views1 answers0 votes
AnsweredS S Betadur asked 4 months ago • 
488 views1 answers0 votes
AnsweredVijay kala asked 2 weeks ago • 
78 views1 answers0 votes
OpenHimanshu asked 1 week ago • 
40 views0 answers0 votes
AnsweredNagarajan asked 7 months ago • 
294 views1 answers0 votes
Answeredjean asked 7 months ago • 
310 views1 answers0 votes
AnsweredPreeti asked 6 months ago • 
236 views1 answers0 votes